Supercharging Your CSR
TOP 10 TIPS FOR SUPERCHARGING YOUR CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
Corporate social responsibility, or CSR, is al the rage. It has been for a while but for too many organisations it’s simply lip service. That’s not necessarily a big problem but it is a really wasted opportunity to make your brand stand out, enliven your organisational culture and benefit from strong altruistic action. Just last week I was asked to share my top tips for CSR, so here are my Top 10 Tips to Supercharge your Corporate Social Responsibility whilst helping make the world a better place, too…
1. Aim to engage with or support a global cause; something that connects your employees or business aims or values, rather than something that’s close to only one or two people. Consider how customers and stakeholders will react to your choice. Improving the environment – our shared living space – is a good example of a global cause.
2. Brighten up empty spaces whilst providing food for pollinators by using wildflower seeds as gifts, incentives and for promotions. Get free packs of wildflower seeds here: www.freebeeseeds.co.uk
3. Don’t be shy about being a tiny bit selfish: it’s okay for you to benefit, too! You’re much more likely to obtain global buy-in and greater compliance when doing something that works for your business. True altruism is achieved by being a little more selfless, however.
4. To truly stand out and make your responsibility count, find ways to engage regularly with your cause: encourage walking meetings, host a monthly gardening club or consider adopting or renting a beehive, for example.
5. Champions are critical to the success of corporate responsibility programs: recruit a team to lead the cause and maintain the momentum, acting as a communication channel within your organisation.
6. Demonstrate the importance to your organisation of corporate responsibility by recognising or rewarding employee engagement. With Bees for Business you’ll enjoy jars of your own delicious, local honey from your hive, which make ideal, meaningful gifts.
7. Be proud of the active role you are playing; many businesses use corporate responsibility as nothing more than a tick in a box: engage with your local, industry and national press to confidently champion your cause. We provide Bees for Business customers with a Press Pack, with most of the work already done for you.
8. Simple things can make a big difference; corporate social responsibility doesn’t have to be expensive or complicated. Simply hanging bird feeders (and keeping them topped up throughout the year!) to support local wildlife is better than doing nothing. Find something that is easily achievable for you; most things can be scaled up in time when resources allow.
9. Aim to move forwards and truly make a difference with your program, rather than repeating the same things for the sake of it. With a rented or adopted beehive you’re continuously improving the environment by supporting a living infrastructure and helping to reverse the decline of the honeybee population, whilst benefiting from the myriad health and diet benefits of fresh, raw honey.
10. Keep employees up to date with progress, achievements and future plans for corporate responsibility: all too often interest and engagement fizzles out because people aren’t kept engaged.
Download your FREE information guide at www.beesforbusiness.com